Flourless chocolate cake
Recipe by Gabriella Esposito
- 300g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 225g salted butter
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 200g Selati Caster Snow
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 Tbsp brandy)
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 120g ground almonds
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp xantham gum (optional)
- 6 eggs, seperated
- 1 whole egg
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 150ml cream
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 80g lightly toasted almonds, to serve
- Place chocolate, butter and cocoa powder into a bowl over simmering water and melt slowly.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract/ brandy, coconut flour, ground almonds, bicarb and xantham gum.
- Allow to cool slightly while you grease and line your 22cm cake tin and preheat oven to 175 degrees C.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Place egg yolks and the whole egg into the chocolate mixture and beat until just combined.
- Fold in the egg whites until just combined (do not overwork as you will lose the air/ volume needed to assist with rising)
- Transfer mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for 40 minutes. Turn off oven and allow to cake to sit for a further 10 minutes to set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before transferring to a serving plate.
- To make ganache, place chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place cream into a saucepan. On a medium heat, bring the cream to a simmer and then pour over chopped chocolate and butter. Allow to sit for 30 seconds before whisking together to form a smooth ganache. If you find the consistency too runny, then pop into the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Serve with melted chocolate ganache and lightly toasted flaked almonds.